The fire service have praised the reaction of neighbours when they heard a smoke alarm going off in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service received an emergency call at about 4am on Tuesday 12th November. A crew from Crowborough Fire Station was dispatched to the property in Windsor Road, Jarvis Brook.
Incident Commander Carl Streeter said:
I would like to commend the neighbours who heard the smoke alarm sounding and whose quick thinking raised the alarm and assist the occupant from the property before the services arrival.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose jet to extinguish a small fire in the kitchen. The fire is believed to have started after a kettle was left on a hob. One resident was treated for smoke inhalation.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are reminding residents that they offer free Home Safety Visits to everyone in the county. They can fit smoke alarms for free if required. To book a visit, call 0800 177 7069 or visit www.esfrs.org for more information.