Less than half the homes needed built in East Sussex in 2014


An analysis of new government figures published this morning by the National Housing Federation shows that just 2,553 homes were built in East Sussex in 2014, a shortfall of 1,493 on the 2,553 experts predicted are needed every year to keep pace with new households forming.

Across the South East, last year’s shortfall totalled more than 20,000:

2014 Homes needed Homes built Homes shortfall Social homes needed Social homes built Social homes shortfall
South East 41,700 19,860 21,840 8,700 4,140 4,560
East Sussex 2,553 1,060 1,493 533 190 343
Kent 8,519 3,100 5,419 1,777 630 1,147
Surrey 5,801 1,910 3,891 1,210 390 820
West Sussex 4,591 2,110 2,481 958 410 548
Brighton and Hove 867 230 637 181 120 61

David Orr, Chief Executive of the National Housing Federation, said:

The alarm bells sounded long ago, and yet nothing seems to have changed. For the sixth year a row, new home building is at rock bottom.  The public are now thoroughly aware that this country is facing a housing crisis on an unprecedented scale and despite a spate of short-term initiatives there is no grand plan.

If tackling the housing crisis is about anything, it’s about building more homes.  It’s the lack of supply and failure to cater for demand, which pushes up prices and leaves needy people out in the cold.

Unless we act now and get building more housing of all types, but particularly genuinely affordable housing, we are in danger of making today’s housing crisis our children’s problem.  That’s why we’re asking that politicians get their heads out the sand and commit to a long-term plan to ending the housing crisis within a generation.

The National Housing Federation (NHF) represent the work of housing associations and campaign for better housing.  The NHF claim the lack of supply is pricing many people out of owning or privately renting a home in their local area.  Experts now warn that 8,700 new affordable homes need to be built per year yet, just 4,140 affordable homes were built in 2014, less than half of what families desperately need.

Despite growing concern about the housing crisis and sustained population growth, housebuilding across England hovers below the 125,000 mark for the sixth year in a row – the lowest peacetime levels since the 1920s.  The last ten years saw the birth of 7 million babies, the same as in the 1950s when England was building an average of 230,000 homes a year.

Failure to build enough homes is already pushing prices out of reach, the average house in the South East costs just under £300,000, ten times average yearly earnings. With soaring housing costs and not enough affordable homes being built, more government money is going into the pockets of private landlords as working people are forced to rely on housing benefit to help pay their rent.

New homes in Crowborough

Three main areas have been identified in the Wealden Local Plan for new development in Crowborough up to 2027.

Last year Rydon Homes were given the go-ahead to build 160 homes on land at Walsh Manor Farm.  The housing proposal includes 56 affordable homes, managed by an approved Housing Association, of which 80% will be for rental at below market value with the remaining 20% as shared ownership.

The Local Plan allows for 140 new homes to be built in the town at Pine Grove and Jarvis Brook (see map below).  Most of these houses in the town would go on the site adjacent to the new Community Site (currently occupied by Beaconwood and the car park to the south).  At Jarvis Brook the old council depot off Forest Dene will be redeveloped.

Strategic Sites in Crowborough earmarked for development in the Local PlanFor more detail see the leaflet describing the core strategy for growth in Crowborough.

Crowborough Town Council is currently developing a Neighbourhood Plan for the town, which will guide the future development of Crowborough for the next 15-20 years.



To make sure you are among the first to know what is going on in Crowborough - SUBSCRIBE to receive our email Newsletter.

Please click for more info.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here