Drop-in session in Crowborough – part of a series East Sussex Fire and Rescue is holding across the county.
If you have had an electric blanket for a number of years, or it is showing signs of age such as frayed material, you can bring it along to get it checked.
As well as having the opportunity to get advice and information on other areas of fire safety within your home there will representatives from local fuel poverty services who will be able to provide advice on keeping warm this winter.
At last year’s events they tested 570 blankets. Out of these blankets there was a failure rate of 30% meaning 173 blankets were identified as being unsafe for use. East Sussex Fire and Rescue were able to make the owners aware of the dangers and with their consent dispose of the unsafe blankets.
If you know someone who uses a old electric blanket, you could offer to take it along to an event for them if they are unable to do so themselves.
It’s important that you bring along the controllers with the blanket in order for them to complete a full safety check!
For further information on home safety, contact the Community Safety Team on the Freephone number 0800 177 7069.
Click here for alternative dates and locations where you can get your electric blanket tested in East Sussex.
Tips for safe blanket use:
- Always buy a new blanket – second hand blankets may not be safe
- Have your blanket tested every year
- Always read the manufacturers instructions carefully – and follow them
- Never use a blanket with scorch marks or exposed elements
- Never use the blanket if it’s wet or creased. Never switch it on to dry out
- Never use a hot water bottle and an electric blanket together
- Check the plug cord for any signs of wear or damage
- Do not fit the blanket to an adapter or multi-socket block with another appliance plugged in
- Make sure the power is turned off at the wall and the blanket is unplugged if not in use
- Keep the blanket stored carefully over the summer months – refer to the manufacturers instructions on how best to do this