Drop-in session in Crowborough – part of a series East Sussex Fire and Rescue is holding across the county.
At last year’s events East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service tested 561 blankets. Out of these blankets there was a failure rate of 29% meaning 163 blankets were identified as being unsafe for use. We were able to make the owners aware of the dangers and prevent them from continuing to use these blankets.
This event is designed for anyone that uses an electric blanket and they should bring it along for a free safety check. If you know someone who uses one you can offer to take it along to an event for them if they are unable to do so themselves.
It’s important that you bring along the controllers with the blanket in order for us to complete a full safety check!
For further information on home safety, contact the Community Safety Team on the Freephone number 0800 177 7069.
Tips for safe blanket use:
- Always buy a new blanket – second hand blankets may not be safe
- Have your blanket tested every year
- Always read the manufacturers instructions carefully – and follow them
- Never use a blanket with scorch marks or exposed elements
- Never use the blanket if it’s wet or creased. Never switch it on to dry out
- Never use a hot water bottle and an electric blanket together
- Check the plug cord for any signs of wear or damage
- Do not fit the blanket to an adaptor or multi-socket block with another appliance plugged in
- Make sure the power is turned off at the wall and the blanket is unplugged if not in use
- Keep the blanket stored carefully over the summer months – refer to the manufacturers instructions on how best to do this