Elections to East Sussex County Council and for the Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner are being held on Thursday 6th May.
Two people will be elected to represent Crowborough – one to serve “Crowborough North & Jarvis Brook” and another for “Crowborough South & St Johns”. Crowborough Life has invited each of the candidates to send a short statement about themselves explaining why they would like you consider voting for them.
This is the election address from James Partridge.
I’ve lived on the outskirts of Crowborough for most of my adult life and have seen it grow, but I’ve always been struck by the way it’s retained its strong sense of community and small town feel. Those who move here remark on how friendly its inhabitants are and I’ve never heard any one regret choosing Crowborough as a place to live. At the same time, I agree with the many people who have said that they think the high street area needs revitalising.
We are blessed with the magnificent Ashdown Forest on our doorstep and I’m passionate about protecting and enhancing our ancient Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Mental and physical health have been major issues this last year and I want to see more people walking in our parks and green spaces in the future.
I therefore have three main aims:
- argue Crowborough’s case for properly planned investment in infrastructure and to protect our countryside;
- press for resolution of the longstanding issues raised by residents;
- form, with others, a representative group to agree on proposals for revitalising the town centre, then press for them to be implemented.
I’ve held senior posts in our Army Reserve, led a prestigious legal practice and practised commercial law. I have a lot of training and experience in strategic thinking, problem solving and leadership. I’ve had to make difficult decisions and lead diverse teams to get things done and make the most of opportunities.
I am pragmatic, won’t follow party dogma and my only agenda is what is best for residents.
We could get better value for money. Our council tax is amongst the highest in the country. Services have been reduced because of year-on-year cuts in government funding. To maintain, let alone improve, services, something has to change. Serving Liberal Democrat councillors say change at County Hall is resisted – probably because the same people have been in charge for a long time.
My plan is to: post regular bulletins on the internet and in newsletters; visit local organisations; and hold “surgeries”. (We have carried out 3 surveys and issued 3 newsletters in the last year).
My phone number and email address will remain available for anyone and I look forward to many conversations as we work together to keep Crowborough a great place to live.
People: invest in young people and community services
Place: tackle the climate emergency; invest in community assets; protect the countryside
Prosperity: revitalise the town centre; support and encourage local wealth and job creation; ensure value for money for council taxpayers.
- Website: https://wealdenlibdems.org.uk/en/page/james-partridge
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/JamesPartridgeWealden/
- Telephone number: 07415 131002
- Email address: email@example.com
As we receive Election Statements from each of the candidate they will be published on Crowborough Life (click on the candidates name below to find-out about them).
Crowborough North & Jarvis Brook
If you live in this Division you can vote for one of the following five candidates:
- Peter Bucklitsch (Independent)
- Johanna Howell (The Conservative Party Candidate)
- James Partridge (Liberal Democrats)
- Colin Stocks (The Green Party)
- Norman Warren (Labour party)
Crowborough South & St Johns
If you live in this Division you can vote for one of the following four candidates:
- Brendan Clegg (Labour Party)
- Philip Lunn (The Conservative Party Candidate)
- Gareth Owen-Williams (Liberal Democrats)
- Pam Tysh (The Green Party)
If you are unsure of which Division you live in, click the following button and enter your postcode on The Electoral Commission’s website: