Sussex Police have released photos of two people they would like to speak to following the theft of a purse last week.
Around 10.30am on Tuesday 14th June, an elderly lady reported being distracted by a female whilst shopping in Waitrose supermarket in Crowborough.
Police believe that whilst being distracted her purse was taken from her handbag which was in her trolley at the time.
Officers are keen to speak to the persons shown in the images below, as they may be able to help with their investigation.
If you have any information or are the persons pictured, please get in touch with Sussex Police by calling 101, quoting 47220108147. Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Advice for shoppers
- Don’t leave your purse/handbag unattended in your shopping trolley or pushchair
- Return purses to your handbag and zip them up
- Carry bags in front of you or diagonally across your chest
- Don’t use obvious PINs (such as dates of birth or 1234)
- Don’t write your PIN in a diary or on a piece of paper you carry around in your handbag or wallet
- Consider attaching your purse/wallet to your handbag or clothing using a lanyard
- If you do keep your purse in a shopping bag, put your purse at the bottom and not near the top
- Don’t hang bags on the back of a chair in a café
- Men should keep their wallet in a front pocket rather than in their back pocket, making it harder for a thief to slip their hand in unnoticed
If you are a victim
- Tell your bank as soon as you notice bank cards/credit cards have been taken, so they can stop transactions
- Inform the shop, so they can alert their staff and they can tell other stores in town to be vigilant
- Report all crime to Sussex Police