Beacon Academy are celebrating a particularly successful year with an A Level pass rate of well over 99% and 77% getting A*-C grades.
When taken in combination with 47% of our students getting the high A*-B grades this is their best set of results ever. We are proud of the fact that year after year the school continues to get such high results from a comprehensive intake.
The Assistant Head of Academy, Steve Baker (photo above), said we are proud of the fact that year after year the school continues to get such high results from a comprehensive intake:
We are delighted with the success of this group of students. Many of them have made enormous improvements in their grades this year sometimes after having done less well than they had hoped at AS last year.
Nearly one in four of the grades awarded were A*s or As. Amongst students who have received very high grades and been accepted into good universities:
- Poppy Diver got A* A* A and will be going to Oxford to study Earth Sciences
- Ellen Kemp (photo below) got A* A* A* A and will be going to study Film and French at Bristol
- Dean Brunt got A* A B and will go to Exeter to study Physics
- Hannah Cowley got A* A A and will go to Oxford Brookes to study Physiotherapy
- Jon Dean got AABB and will go to Reading to study Economics
- Sophy James got A* A* B to study Politics and Sociology at Lancaster
- Saskia Van Manen A A A will study Psychology at Southhampton
- Harry Norton got A* A* A and will go to Loughborough to study aeronautical engineering.
- Isaac Smith (photo above) got a Distinction star at BTEC and an A* and A at A level and will go on to York to study television and film production
- Sian Driscoll got two Distinction stars and one distinction at BTEC and will study Sports and Exercise therapy at Liverpool Met
- Charlotte Sawyer got a Distinction Star at BTEC and two As at A level to study Classical Studies and Philosophy at Exeter
- Brandon Seale got a Distinction at BTEC and two A grades at A level and will study to be a primary teacher at Canterbury Christchurch
- Sophie Rodemark got two Distinction stars and one Distinction at BTEC
Assistant Head of Academy, Steve Baker added:
Amongst so many great achievements it is difficult to single any one individual out, but Ellen Kemp’s results are particularly noteworthy – she decided to study four subjects at A level despite the fact that we could not find a way to make it fit on the timetable. As a result, she worked very independently on her A level photography at A2 with weekly support from the department. H er photography work was so inspiring that she was actually awarded full marks in all parts of the subject which in previous years has lead to students receiving a national award.
Some subjects really stand out in these results with strong performance at B or above:
- In English Literature 100% got a B or above
- In Geology 75% got B or above
- In Maths 63% got a B or above
- In World Development 70% got a B or above
- In Modern Languages 66% got a B or above
- In Religous Studies 60% got B or above