Elections to East Sussex County Council are being held on Thursday 4th May.
I am a land surveyor and worked for the Foreign Office and the Ordnance Survey. I now focus on property renovation and advise the county council on public access issues.
Our county council’s main responsibilities include roads, education and social care.
In seeking your vote, I would work hard to achieve progress on the following county matters:
- Make the county council a ‘Living Wage’ employer. When I last enquired, ESCC employed 4,300 workers on poverty pay, mainly women working in East Sussex schools.
- Take urgent action to resolve the traffic flow problems in Mill Lane. At peak times there is gridlock on this key access route to our town centre facilities – it is bad for local business and puts off visitors. Sadly, our present councillors haven’t resolved this ongoing issue. And the situation will only worsen when the Pine Grove Business Hub opens.
- St John’s primary school recently made national news by having to ask parents to supply basics items including toilet rolls. I would cut executive pay at County Hall and release council reserves to ensure our schools are properly funded.
- Make Crowborough town centre more pedestrian friendly with a 20 mph zone, as recently introduced in Uckfield.
- Change the opening hours of Crowborough Library and include Sunday opening. At present the library is open when people are working and closed when they are free!
- Promote green policies including the installation of electric car charging points in the Croft Road car park and install solar panels on all council owned buildings including schools.
- Address the dysfunctional administration of pothole repair in Crowborough by setting up a quick repair system with a local contractor – not rocket science is it?
I am very happy to discuss county council issues with Crowborough residents – please feel free to contact me at any time.
Four candidates are standing for each seat (click to find-out about them).
Crowborough North & Jarvis Brook
- Sara Rose Newman (Labour Party)
- Karen Jane Shaw (Liberal Democrats)
- Colin Geoffrey Stocks (The Green Party)
- Richard Stogdon (The Conservative Party)
Crowborough South & St Johns