Want to be one of the next County Councillors representing Crowborough?

Nominations are now open for candidates wanting to represent their community on East Sussex County Council for the next four years.

The elections on Thursday 4th May will be the first to be held under new division boundary arrangements which see the number of county councillors increased from 49 to 50.  There will be an extra county councillor in Wealden to account for the district’s rising population.  The changes also see the elimination of two-member divisions.  Since 2005, two councillors have been elected to jointly represent the whole of Crowborough.

Following the consultation by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England, one councillor will now be elected to serve “Crowborough North & Jarvis Brook” and another for “Crowborough South & St Johns”.

Boundaries across the county have changed to ensure all councillors represent roughly the same number of voters, while the names of some county council divisions have changed.

Becky Shaw, East Sussex County Council Chief Executive, said:

County councillors play a hugely important role in matters which affect all of our lives – from the roads and pavements we use to the care older people receive.

East Sussex County Council currently has 21 Conservative members, 10 Liberal Democrats, seven Labour members, six UKIP members, three independents and two independent democrats.  County Councillors are entitled to claim an allowance of £11,303 per year (see Members’ Allowances Scheme).

Nomination Papers

If you want to stand for election, nomination papers may be obtained from Electoral Services at Wealden District Council.  Completed papers must be returned no later than 4pm on Tuesday 4th April 2017.

Register to Vote

Anyone not currently registered to vote has until Thursday 13th April to register to ensure they can cast their vote when the county heads to the polls on Thursday, 4th May.  If you want to apply for a postal vote, the deadline is Tuesday 18th April.  (Frequently Asked Questions about Electoral Registration and Voting.)

Registration Officer for Wealden District Charles Lant said:

If you have recently moved into the area, or moved house, you may not be on our electoral roll, and so you won’t be able to have your say on 4th May.

Since the move over to individual electoral registration a few years ago, it is now up to each one of us to make sure we are registered to vote.

To register visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

Share Your Views